- To provide the sound scientific information we need for fact-based decision making, and to create opportunities for collaboration with researchers, students and naturalists from around the world.
- To promote and initiate long-term monitoring of the aquatic ecosystems in the coastal region of Pender Harbour, the Sunshine Coast and the northern Salish Sea.
- To fulfill the need for long-term datasets to investigate key questions, including the effects of climate change, sea temperature rise and ocean acidification.
- To understand the distribution of marine fauna and how it reflects the dynamic conditions stemming from nutrient flux, temperature and current stratification.
- To empower and encourage young people to consult with experienced mentors to learn more about the natural world.
- To boost Pender Harbour’s economy throughout the year, particularly during the ‘shoulder’ season.